Saturday, May 28, 2005

Hey There Blimpie Boy Flying in the Sky So High…

I agree.Alright, so technically speaking I’m not in a blimp. In fact, I don’t think blimps can make it this high. However, I am currently flying in the sky so high (approximately 36,000 feet high according to the in-flight display). I’m approximately 3 hours into my flight with a little over five hours remaining and I’ve already reached a very important decision: I’m never flying anyone other than Lufthansa again. I mean really, what other airline has a broadband “hotspot” set up for every aircraft within the Northern Hemisphere? According to the Lufthansa in-flight magazine: none. And they’re not biased at all, right?

A review my trip so far:

Lissa, Anna and I arrived at the Warsaw airport this morning and had one common thought: “Thank God Dave isn’t flying Lot airlines!” (Poland’s national carrier) The lines for all of Lot Airline’s flights stretched almost back to our apartment; we had just assumed on the way over that there was some kind of protest going on and that’s why we were passing all these people with their luggage.

Of my time on the ground there’s really nothing else to say so I’m going to skip to…

The puddle jumper from Warsaw to Munich was basically awful. The ground crew took away my carry-on bag because the plane was so tiny. Clearly they underestimated my ability to smash it into one of the overhead bins. As a result of their lack of faith, I’ve been traveling for the last 6 hours looking like I’m headed to a sleepover with my pillow and laptop in tow. Supposedly my former “carry-on” has been checked thru to Washington, which probably means that I’ll see it again in about 3 days. If ever.

The Food: Lufthansa’s meal (which I slept through the first time they came through and was forced to request by sheepishly ringing my call bell and saying that I must have dozed off somehow) was actually quite terrific. The camembert was fantastic, the turkey was actually quite good despite my wanting the beef (they were out since I was literally the last person on the plane to get my food), the bread was fresh, and the potatoes and carrots were also delicious. All in all, probably the best airline meal I’ve ever eaten.

Seating: Ah, comfort! Thy name is an empty flight. Well, not empty obviously, but emptier than Lufthansa would like I’m sure. Essentially, we have about 1/3 of the seats unoccupied; I should mention that those empty seats include the two seats to my right. That’s right, the woman on the far end of the row and I have the entire row to ourselves. I was supposed to have a window seat, but apparently there are some kinks in the system. I suppose if I had gotten my window seat I would have wound up with someone sitting next to me, so I’m certainly not going to complain. As it is I’ve got a seat for myself and the seat to my right for any of my stuff that I don’t want to put on the floor, which is where I’ve placed my shoes since I’ve given myself more leg room than God by emptying out the area beneath the seat in front of me (Ok, I don’t have more leg room than God, but I’ve certainly got more than I did on the flight over to Poland. And yes, before you ask, I’ve talked to God and He has a ton of leg room.).

And with that, dear readers, I’m going to sign off for now. Partially because they’re starting the in-flight movie and I’m fairly certain it’s one I haven’t seen yet. But also because I’m about to reach the end of my online time and in another couple of minutes this is going to start costing me 25¢ per minute.

From somewhere south of Reykjavik,
-Dave

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous hypothesized...

Sigh. I want to fly Lufthansa! It's like a rest/vacation while you're traveling. Good food, good seats, easy eight hours.

 

Post a Comment