Monday, February 09, 2009

Side Saddle Course

Yes, I DID say side saddle lesson. So why, you ask, am I sitting astride the horse? Well, my first lesson on riding 'aside' was learned astride the horse. The instructor wanted to get a feel for how comfortable I was on a horse. The answer, I think, is that I'm doing ok but I definitely need a lot of work. English has never been my thing, so posting has always been hard work for me. I did not manage to demonstrate a passable trot this class, so I might not be in a side saddle next time either. I would finally start posting, and I'd shift the reigns, and the horse would stop...exactly as he should have since that was the signal I was sending him). I'm currently the only sidesaddle student at the farm, so I'm getting private instruction.

I'm taking lessons at Linden farm in southern Maryland (it's a bit of a drive, but it's real pretty). I'm signed up for at least this month. It's a rather expensive hobby, so I'm not sure if I can keep it up, but so far I'm really enjoying it and would LOVE to continue. Maybe I won't feel that way once my rear end has experienced the discomfort of a sidesaddle. I have to admit I was floored when the instructor told me that her goal is to get me ready to compete in the Dressage category, riding sidesaddle, a year from now. I'm not sure competing had ever entered my mind.

The horse I'm riding is "Ollie," short for Oliver Twist. He was a real sweetie and was happy to stand still while I sorted myself out on the saddle and inexpertly saddled him. He got even though, because he has one of the most jarring trots I've ever experienced.

There were lots of barn cats hanging out, and Dave had a good time playing and saying hi to this barn cat while I had my lesson. Apparently the cat was clear on the other side of the arena and came running over when Dave crooked his finger.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous hypothesized...

I love the cat. I cannot post, either. Or rather, you can post, apparently, but I cannot. I expect side saddle pictures soon, with lots of competition ribbons!! :P

 
Blogger Costume Diva hypothesized...

Well, I certainly hope I'll have sidesaddle photos for you in a week or two. The ribbons may have to wait...we'll see. Competitions are so stressful!

 
Anonymous Anonymous hypothesized...

I would so learn side saddle with you if I were just a bit closer. :)

 
Blogger Costume Diva hypothesized...

Well, to date I'm not in 'good enough condition' to go side saddle which is fairly frustrating since I'm really not so interested in riding English. Oh well, I guess it's a necessary evil if I want to try side saddle.

 

Post a Comment