Sunday, September 19, 2010

New York, New York!

I got to visit New York this week for business. The visit kicked off on Thursday, when I arrived in Penn Station in NY, and promptly bumped into Beth, my college roommate. I haven't seen her since my wedding. What blows my mind is neither of us live in NY. She lives on the West Coast, and we just both happened to be in the train station at the same time. It's a small world!

I checked in to my hotel (the Hudson), which turned out to be a very hip building. I didn't even recognize the building as a hotel when we pulled up in the cab...there were no signs indicating this was the place. It was very close to the Time/Warner building, which had fun shopping. Other observations - I paid $25 for a not-so-impressive breakfast, $5 for a soda, and my room was the size of small cube. There was literally one foot between the foot of my bed and the wall. But, the bed was comfortable, so it worked.

Thursday night, I met up with Julie from high school. We went to a Jazz at Lincoln Center concert in Bryant Park, and then had yummy french fusion cuisine. Lots of fund catching up with her!

Friday, after my meetings, I decided to go check out the costume exhibit at the Met...only to find out that there was no costume exhibit. In my defense, I DID look this up before I went, but I couldn't tell from the website that there was no exhibit. I did check out the bookstore before I left, and was happy I did. There were two books that I'd been considering purchasing, but I didn't like them after thumbing through them.

Disappointed by the lack of costumes, I ran down to the Garment District to FIT's fashion museum. It was a small exhibit, but there were several pieces that I really enjoyed, and it focused on eco-fashion. There was a really cool green dress from the 1860s that was dyed with a process that used arsenic. Gives a new meaning to poisenous green.

Since I was already in the Garment District, I couldn't resist going to Mood, the fabric store featured in Project Runway. It was amazing!! One floor was almost exclusively silk. I had a really good time checking everything out, but managed to resist buying.

I definitely want to visit NY again soon. Dave should come along next time, and I want to have time to see a Broadway show (specifically...Wicked).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment