Monday, February 23, 2009

Look...I'm Riding Aside!!!

So, of course the first night my instructor dragged out the side saddle is the night I decided to leave the camera at home. She HAD said I'd be riding in an English saddle for a few more lessons last time, because she didn't feel I was ready for the side saddle. I don't know what changed in between last week and this week, but I'm glad it did. We'll have to make do with photos from Dave's camera phone:I'm riding Sandy, a nice old Palomino horse (he looks much too white in these photos...he's a beautiful sandy blond). He was short too...probably about 14 or 15 hands, which made getting on and off a lot easier in the side saddle.
I like this photo...although I can almost imagine my instructor telling me to put my left heel down. I really enjoyed riding in the side saddle. I was able to trot without any problems, and managed to convey 'stop' to the horse just by rocking my weight back in the saddle. It was interesting to find out that the foot in the stirrup is doing almost nothing. It's my right leg that is keeping me on the horse, and directing the horse. The scariest part was getting down. Dave has to help me to on and off (there are apparently ways to learn it on your own, but assistance is preferred). To get off, I swung both legs onto the left side of the horse (facing away from the horse) and had to slide off with Dave holding my right hand. I just about sat in the dirt I hit the ground so hard. :) I can't WAIT for the next lesson.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous hypothesized...

soooo jealous. But way to go!

 
Anonymous Anonymous hypothesized...

Wow! And those aren't bad for cell phone pictures. Eventually will you be doing this in a skirt?

 
Anonymous Anonymous hypothesized...

Yes, I can see you now in a long, elegant, emerald green velvet riding skirt and a hat with a curling feather on top!You have the posture (yep the toe is down).
I love the look!
MOM

 
Blogger Costume Diva hypothesized...

Yes, eventually when my instructor feels confident that my foot posture is correct and I won't kill myself by tripping over the fabric, I'll wear an apron. Modern side saddle riders don't actually wear full shirts anymore. You wear riding pants underneath an apron that is open in the back (but this is completely invisible when you're on the horse). It's safer, and you're less likely to get tangled in the skirts. The only time you actually wear a skirt is if you're reenacting.

 

Post a Comment