Monday, October 25, 2010

History, History, and Halloween

I've been meaning to make a few blog posts...but now that I've finally sat down long enough, we'll do three postings in one! First up, Halloween! Dave and I spent this afternoon searching for the perfect carving pumpkins. I give you Dave's amazing cannibal pumpkin:
I stayed very simple this year, and chose to carve a kitty pumpkin. It took me an hour from start to finish. I don't think I've done a pumpkin this quickly since I stopped doing the classic jack-o-lantern with triangles for eyes when I was twelve. I normally go for the most complicated pattern in the book.
Here I am with my pumpkin:
And here's Dave:
Last weekend Dave, Kathleen (a friend from work), and I all piled into our cars and went to Colonial Williamsburg. My favorite stop, as always, is the Milliner shop. Check out my costume blog for info on the this year's visit. We caught the noon parade, and Dave snapped this amazing photo. Very professional looking, don't you think?
There were LOTS of dogs on Duke of Glouchester street. We saw this guy walking around and just HAD to get a photo:
The weekend before Williamsburg, we were at the Renaissance festival. We had an amazing time. I think it's been several years since I've enjoyed the festival this much. We got to actually chat with the King for a few minutes, and the actor was very kind to allow us to take a picture with him (posed exactly like the festival's brochure that Dave is holding in his hand):
The Rogues happened to be performing when we walked by one of the stages. They were performing one of my favorite songs. It's actually a classical song that I've danced to at Gatsby's tavern, but most will recognize it as the theme song from Last of the Mohicans. We were very amused to note that the Rogues have groupies that dance at their performances (apparently these are their wives and girlfriends):Even more amusing was the burly guy in a kilt, guarding the stage and wearing a security T-shirt. I wasn't sure if he was seriously security, or if it was a joke.Finally, one of my festival favorites (she's actually new to the festival in the last three years) is Lady Merilee Effingham, the English courtesan. Dave and I were thrilled to find out she had her very own performance this year. Last time we saw her she was a street act.
I LOVE her costume. Check out her venetian chopines:
We actually saw her walking around in these! Very impressive.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dave hypothesized...

I must really like that green shit!

 
Blogger Dave hypothesized...

Shirt! Shirt! That was supposed to say shirt!

 
Anonymous Susie~Q hypothesized...

hahahaha! Nice, Dave. Love you, cuz! Miss you guys!

 
Blogger Jo Ann hypothesized...

That must have been a keyboarding Freudian slip! Loved your jack-o-laterns this year! And so nice to see your blog revived.

 

Post a Comment